Third Avenue Careers
Explore Careers at Third Avenue
A career with Third Avenue Management provides the opportunity to work with a leading value-oriented investment adviser. Based in New York, the Firm was founded in 1986 by legendary investor Martin J. Whitman. For more than three decades, Third Avenue has consistently pursued a bottom-up, fundamental-value approach to investing by focusing on the company’s balance sheet, the value of its underlying assets, the discounted price of its securities, and the ability of the enterprise to increase its corporate net worth over time. Today, the Firm is partnered with Affiliated Managers Group, Inc. (NYSE:AMG) and has four core strategies — Global Value, Small-Cap, Real Estate and International Real Estate – which are available to investors through ’40 Act mutual funds, UCITS, and customized accounts.
At Third Avenue Management we believe a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace is one where all employees feel valued. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and providing equal opportunity for employment and advancement. We value diverse life experiences, heritages and ensure that all voices are respected and heard. You can see the Firm’s full DEI statement here.
RESEARCH ANALYST – REAL ESTATE
Third Avenue Management is seeking a Research Analyst to join its Real Estate team in the firm’s Austin, TX office.
In this role, the Research Analyst would work alongside the Portfolio Managers of the Third Avenue Real Estate Funds and assist the team with (i) conducting industry and sector research, (ii) performing fundamental analysis in monitoring existing investments, and (iii) undertaking deep-dive research in pursuit of identifying undervalued global real estate securities not already held in the Funds.
The findings from this work would be shared with the Real Estate group, as well as the broader Third Avenue investment team, on a regular basis through written reports and investment presentations.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation and benefits package, this unique role would also provide the Research Analyst with the opportunity to:
- Broaden one’s knowledge of global real estate (and securities) through monitoring a diverse set of property companies in North America, Europe, and Asia.
- Expand one’s professional network by interacting and managing relationships with some of the leading property companies, research & advisory firms, and other industry professionals globally.
- Develop analytically, with an emphasis on evaluating investment opportunities with a long-term, value-oriented, owner-operator mindset.
- Advance professionally by working closely with a high-functioning and process-oriented team that is one of the leading investors in listed real estate with a 20+ year track record and $750 million in dedicated real estate strategies.
The ideal candidate for the position will have:
- Demonstrated academic success with a bachelor’s degree,
- 1-4 years of professional experience with analyzing investments in real estate securities or direct real estate,
- Understanding of financial statements with the intentions of pursuing a CFA ® Charter if not already held,
- Interest in value investing and/or real estate as illustrated through past work experience and/or education,
- Willingness to take on occasional travel for property visits and other due diligence efforts which could include international travel, and
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented culture.
Interested candidates should send the following materials to email@example.com for consideration:
- Resume, and
- Cover Letter outlining your:
- Experience in real estate
- Familiarity with value investing, and
- Professional or academic exposure to markets outside of North America, if applicable.
Please note that this Research Analyst role is in Austin, TX and office-based.
All applications will remain confidential and only receive full consideration if the requested material (i.e., resume and cover letter) is provided in its entirety to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Avenue Funds are distributed by Foreside Fund Services, LLC. Investors should consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses carefully before investing. Third Avenue Funds are offered by prospectus only. The prospectuses and summary prospectuses are available on this website or by calling (800) 443-1021. Read the prospectus or summary prospectus carefully before investing.