Value Investor Insight March 2023 Issue
Date: March 2023
To view the full article and additional important information click here
Matthew Fine, CFA and the Third Avenue Value Fund were featured in a Value Investor Insight interview with John Heins. Matt discusses his career, Third Avenue’s investment philosophy, getting back to the basics, and finding unrecognized opportunities.
Key takeaways include:
- Bringing the investment philosophy of the Third Avenue Value Fund back to what Marty Whitman (Third Avenue’s late founder) had put in place upon inception of the fund in 1990.
- Thematic tilts within the Third Avenue Value Fund today.
- What being an active manager means to Matt.
- Optimistic outlook for key holdings, Bank of Ireland, Capstone Copper and Warrior Met Coal.
- The importance of balance sheet and of a company having the financial wherewithal to ride out a bad period. That’s particularly important given how difficult it is to predict the timing of a recovery.
Mutual fund investing involves risk, including loss of principal. For a copy of the prospectus click here, read it carefully before investing.
Top 10 holdings and standardized performance click here.
Distributor of Third Avenue Funds: Foreside Fund Services, LLC.